With the immediate release of the new ‘Xbox 360 S’ which is a sleeker, slimmer, whisper quiet and Kinect Ready Xbox 360 console, many gamers have questions - and Xbox LIVE Support have answered the majority of those most frequently asked.
Xbox 360 Slim - Front Shot
Is there any performance difference at all between the new Xbox 360 and the original Xbox 360?
No game performance differences. It plays the same games and acts the same way as any Xbox 360.
How about backwards compatibility with all my Xbox 360 games and Original Xbox games?
No changes at all! All your current Xbox 360 and Orginal Xbox games (on the backwards compatibility list) will still work as they do today. Remember though, you need a hard disk to play Original Xbox games.
Is the fan quiet?
Yes, in fact the entire console is whisper quiet.
The photos show fan slots on the right side of the console. Does it vent to the back still, or the side?
The side (or top of you have it resting horizontally.)
What ports have changed?
Removed: The front Memory Unit slots were removed, but the front 2 USB slots are still there for controllers, USB storage, music game hubs, etc.. (Remember, since the 2010 Spring dashboard update, you can use any USB port on the console with a USB thumb drive as an Xbox 360 storage device)
Removed: The small cutout that the external wireless adapters connect to on the back of the console. Since the console now has internal wireless N connectivity, you may not want to use the external wireless adapter. If you find that the external adapter works best for you, that device has feet that swing out to allow it to sit on top of the console.
Added: An optical audio out (a.k.a. TOSlink, S/PDIF). Itâ€™s on the back of the 360 S now instead of on the AV cables.
Added: A port for the Kinect sensor that is a hybrid data and power port. Kinect works with all Xbox 360 consoles, but on the new Xbox 360, you donâ€™t need a separate power adapter for the Kinect sensor because this port will provide the power.
Added: 2 more USB ports on the back, bringing the total to three on the rear of the console in addition to the 2 on the front of the new Xbox360.
Does the new Xbox 360 use removable faceplates?
The new Xbox 360 does not have removable faceplates.
Where is the wireless controller bind button, I donâ€™t see it in any of the pictures?
Itâ€™s in the front. It was combined with the IR receiver on the front, so thatâ€™s why you donâ€™t notice it!
Does that mean that I can use my old wireless controllers with the New Xbox 360?
Yup, all official controllers will work with the New Xbox 360
Does it stand vertically and horizontal and do I need an adapter or a stand?
The Xbox 360 console is designed to stand vertically or horizontally. Unlike other consoles, it does not require a stand to sit upright and with the new sleek design it looks and fits great in your living room entertainment center. However, no matter how you position the console, you should not move the console during game or media play, or at any other time when the disc is spinning.
What band does the internal wireless N use?
Do the external wireless adapters work with new Xbox 360 ?
Yes. And if you connect one to the new Xbox 360 will sense this and disable the internal wireless.
I don’t have wireless, will I still be able to connect to LIVE using the New Xbox 360?
Yes! In addition to the built in wireless card, there is a standard Ethernet port on the back as well.
Is the power supply the same?
No. Itâ€™s a bit smaller and itâ€™s now 135 watt. The connecter type is different too because itâ€™s not meant for use in original Xbox 360 consoles.
Is the hard drive removable?
Yes, just like on the original 360 console, the hard drive is removable.
How can I move data from my current Xbox 360 to the new Xbox 360?
Its super easyâ€”check out Xbox.com/transfer for more details. One important note is that your current Xbox 360 hard drive will not attach to the new Xbox 360. You will need to use either a transfer cable or USB memory to transfer your content.
What’s included in the box:
- Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive: The internal 250GB hard drive allows you to save your games and store television shows, movies, music, pictures, trailers, levels, demos, and other conÂtent available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace.
- Built in Wi-Fi: The new Xbox 360 is the only console with 802.11n Wi-Fi built in for a faster and easier connection to Xbox LIVE. Download or stream HD movies, TV episodes, and games from Xbox LIVE Marketplace in 1080p and 5.1 surround sound from anywhere in the house. Compatible with b/g/n networks.
- Kinect ready: Coming this holiday, Kinect will make YOU the controller. With a dedicated, specialized port, the Xbox 360 250GB is built to connect seamlessly with the Kinect sensorâ€” and have you up off the couch and into the world of Kinect in no time.
- Xbox 360 Wireless Controller: This award-winning, high-performance wireless controller features the Xbox Guide Button for quick, in-game access to friends and music. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of 30 hours on two AA batteries.
- Xbox 360 Headset: Strategize or trade taunts while playing games, and chat with your friends on Xbox LIVE.
- Xbox 360 Composite A/V cable: Maximize your Xbox 360 picture quality on standard-definition televisions using this S-Video connection for a noticeable image improvement over traditional composite connecters.
Microsoft have started shipping the new consoles to retail outlets in North America today, whilst gamers in the EU will have to wait until July 16th. Most online retailers have started taking pre-orders already.
Why not share your views on the new ‘Xbox 360 S’ console in the comments section below?